Monday, June 18, 2007

Attack of the Pods

We have two mesquite trees in our front yard (one in the back) and this time of year they are a total mess. Saturday, I went out to clean up the mesquite pods in the front yard and remove some of the more decrepit brittlebush. When I was done, it looked pretty good with just a couple of pods here and there. But then Sunday evening when we took the dogs for a walk, a large majority of the front yard was covered again. You just can't win for losing. Later this evening, I'll be out cleaning them up again. This will go on for several more weeks until all the pods have fallen from the trees. In the backyard, I get help from the dogs because they really like to eat the pods and vacuum them up with their mouths. It's ok...I talked to the vet and he said that eating the pods wouldn't hurt them. Native Americans use the beans in the pods to make flour so there must be something good about them.

Sunday, I was able to spend several hours quilting but I am very disappointed in my project. It is a cat quilt where the cats are sitting/playing on some steps in the moonlight It should have been a very easy project but as I sewed the strips of nine patches together, I had a lot of mismatched seams. You would think that someone who has quilted as long as I have would be able to have perfectly matched seams. Not so!!! And these were not even teeny tiny blocks which would have been a good excuse for not matching. I know exactly what my mistake was but I'm not going back to rectify it. I think and hope that when the quilt is quilted, many of the mismatched seams will not be as readily apparent as they are now. I was thinking of giving it to my vet since his office is kind of boring but I probably won't do that since he is now a quilter and from what I can tell, he is a perfectionist.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure it is very nice - you are too hard on yourself.

Fiber for the kids in pods!

Lynn

Granny J said...

I was thinking that you should be gathering the pods and doing some earthy eating...I've never heard what the flavor of mesquite beans might be. Aren't the pods supposed to be edible, too?