Thursday, March 6, 2008

Glen Canyon Dam

Glen Canyon Dam has been in the news lately for opening up the pen stocks to let the water flow from Lake Powell into the Colorado River in order to recreate the beaches along the Colorado. We just visited Glen Canyon Dam in January and I finally copied all my photos from my desktop and laptop onto a portable external drive that I can access at work during my lunch hour for faster internet speed.

While at the Dam, we were given our own private tour of the "innards" and working parts. Tom is really into dams and he has been here several times. All in all it was pretty interesting. It took years to build and the water in Lake Powell is at it's lowest point ever. There was a time in the early 90's when they feared the water would overtop the dam but it didn't happen. Anyway, here are some photos.


A photo of the dam from the visitor's center


The bridge over the canyon


One of the buckets used to bring in the tons and tons of concrete


The Colorado


Inside the dam




More Later.

6 comments:

Granny J said...

I wonder what Lake Powell will be like later this spring/summer when that high snow pack begins to melt. Like our local dams, with water spilling like crazy? We should be so lucky. I'm sure impressed with that mighty shovel!

Linda G. said...

Interesting post and pictures, QD!
Here's hoping Lake Powell does rise a bit this year.
Your quilt post is interesting too. I do admire those beautiful creations. The Southwest quilt would look very nice on my bed, but I probably won't get down to bid on it:)

Linda G. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda G. said...

Interesting post and pictures, QD!
Here's hoping Lake Powell does rise a bit this year.
Your quilt post is interesting too. I do admire those beautiful creations. The Southwest quilt would look very nice on my bed, but I probably won't get down to bid on it:)

meggie said...

I love those quilts & the pink & green one is just my taste!

We have many Hydro Dams in New Zealand & they are very interesting to visit. None as huge as that though!!

Marion said...

Hello,

the pictures, you have taken from the hydro dam, are very interesting.

I wish, I could see it by myself.

Greetings to America from Germany

Marion