Thursday, May 24, 2007

Update on Book Club



We had our third meeting of the book club last night and the assigned book was The Fountainhead. I was not looking forward to reading that book one bit and it turned out I absolutely loved it! The funny thing is that one of the other members was looking forward to reading it. She truly hated it and did not finish it. Our hostess found a survey on the internet taken in 1991 which found that the #1 most influential book to those surveyed was The Bible and the second most influential book was The Fountainhead. This is kind of ironic since The Fountainhead is totally aetheistic and con-religion and The Bible...well, The Bible is what it is.


Our next book is These Is My Words by Nancy Turner which is about a woman pioneer in Southern Arizona. I read it once and loved it so much I had to buy the book because I knew I would be reading it over and over. One reason I like it so much is because of the descriptions of Arizona back then and especially Southern Arizona where I was born and where my dad was born and raised. So, I like to imagine my grandma, sort 'a, as the heroine of the story.

1 comment:

Granny J said...

I have been fascinated with the amazing longevity of The Fountainhead, especially considering how the book (and author) has been villified by almost every English/lit prof since I first read the book back in the late aught 40s.(It simply isn't PC!